ENSSIB - École Nationale Supérieure de Sciences de l’Information et des Bibliothèques
Embed Size (px)
Trabalho realizado para a disciplina de Inglês Instrumental pela Universidade Federal de São Carlos pelos seguintes graduandos de Biblioteconomia e Ciência da Informação: Klicia Mendonça, Paulo Aparecido Rodriguês da Silva e Rebeca Carrari.
Transcript of ENSSIB - École Nationale Supérieure de Sciences de l’Information et des Bibliothèques
- 1. Graduate Programs in FranceENSSIB - cole Nationale Suprieure de Sciences de lInformation et des Bibliothques, Lyon Klcia Silva Mendona Paulo Aparecido Rodrigus da Silva Rebeca Carrari
- 2. The city of Lyon Lyon is one of the largest French cities, the capital of the Rhne- Alpes, and the department of Rhone. It has about 472 330 inhabitants. The Rhne-Alpes Region is home to some 400 municipal libraries, 8 dpartement lending libraries and 5 public libraries with heritage collections as well as large university libraries. Its inhabitants are called "Lyon" and "Lyonesa". It was founded by the Romans in 43 BC, was the capital of the province of Gaul.
- 3. Economy Lyon is the third most populous city in France and second largest business center in the country, as well as a major economic centers of Europe. Its economy has highlighted to the industry and technology cultural tourism. Climate The average annual temperature is 11.4 degrees. The highest temperature in the year is usually between the months of June, July and August and is around 23 and 26 degrees. The lowest temperature is between the months of December and January and is around 0.4 and - 0.8 degrees.
- 4. Library and Information Science in France There are in France, professional qualifications in Information Science at several levels: the level known as the first cycle corresponds to a training course for senior technician for two years, the second cycle corresponding to the levels of undergraduate and masters and the third cycle with a professional option and one for the doctorate. Offering courses in France is out of balance: a greater number of students take technical courses, while employers require higher skill levels. Another problem is that only a small number of students choose the path of the research in the short term could lead to ashortage of teachers and researchers.
- 5. The school Enssib, Frances national school for information and librarianship, trains library and information managers and carries out research in the fields of information science, librarianship and the history of the book. Enssib was founded in 1992, replacing the ENSB (National School for Librarians), which was established in 1963 and transferred to Villeurbanne, close to Lyon, in 1974. In 1999 Enssib merged with the Institute for Librarian Training, thereby becoming the only national establishment for the training of category A library staff. Enssib is directly administered by the Ministry for Higher Education and Research. The director is Anne-Marie Bertrand.
- 6. International Relations Enssib has long been recognized abroad for its expertise in the specialist field of libraries and information science. It also has the additional virtue of directly addressing an audience of library professionals and teacher-researchers specializing in information. A further distinctive feature is enssibs Masters courses for students and civil servants. Its plan for the period 20072010 stresses the structuring and redefining of its avenues of international activity. In this context an enssib priority is the encouragement and facilitation of international mobility, together with the enhancement of its European partnerships.
- 7. Encouraging international mobility Encouragement of student mobility More places for foreign students Encouragement of teacher mobility More places for teacher-researchers and professionals from abroad Enhancing European partnerships
- 8. Researches Research teams The Gabriel Naud Centre the history of the book the history of libraries the socio-anthropology of the library of today ELICO Lyon Information and Communication Science Research Team The teams four research strands are media, the library users and culture, documents and society, and communication and organizations.
- 9. Resources What enssib offers, then, is a resource centre for information and library science : The enssib library comprises a specialist collection of over 40,000 books and a host of reviews. Enssib makes available numerous digital resources (data bases, online reviews) and, notably, the digital library (complete texts, specializing in information and library science) and the list of SIBEL links. The Ask a Librarian service answers your information and library science questions and provides access to its knowledge base. Enssib publications brings together the Presses de lenssib, with its two major series Papiers (Papers) and Bote outils (Toolbox/BAO) and the leading national review, the Bulletin des Bibliothques de France. In addition enssib has been recognised as an authority in the field of information literacy training, thanks to its FORMIST division and its educational brochure REPERE.
- 10. Courses Basic Training Masters in Information and Library Science (SIB) Masters in Image and Book Culture (CEI) Masters in Books and Knowledge (LS) Trainee civil servants
- 11. Continuing Education Continuing Education is a section of the Studies Department, which consolidates the links and avenues of cooperation between initial courses and ongoing education. Drawn up in close collaboration with the Ministry of Higher Education and Research (Libraries and Scientific Information Division) and the Ministry of Culture (Books and Reading Division), enssibs continuing education catalogue annually offers fresh training courses covering the four main themes and issues in the library context : establishment and management ; collections and document policies ; library users and computer science and information and communication technology.
- 12. Foreign students Enssib will help you with the preparations for your stay and outline the administrative requirements for coming to France. These requirements vary according to whether you are from the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA), Switzerland, or a country outside these categories. You must also register with Social Security in France. The Egide association will help you organise your stay if you are a foreign student with a French government grant or a grant provided by a state institution or a private company. Enssib publishes a student guide which covers all the administrative requirements for coming to study in France and will help make your arrival and stay in Lyon easy and agreeable.
- 13. Initial training for state librarians Aims and objectives Accreditation as a librarian certifies that the skills objectives of the initial training course have been met. Successful candidates in the competitive entrance examination are appointed intern librarians and paid a monthly salary. The enssib course lasts 12 months. Level required A three-year degree or equivalent
- 14. Assessment Assessment is designed to establish that the required knowledge has been acquired and made operational, and that the necessary skills have been mastered. This takes place in several phases : Assessment of personal and group work carried out during the year At the end of the first internship, the intern submits a report for marking The initial training year closes with submission of a Personal Professional Project (PPP) Librarians who have met the obligations regarding regular attendance and obtained the overall average in the various marked assignments are given librarian accreditation.
- 15. Career possibilities Usually working under a head librarian, librarians have a range of career possibilities. They may run a department. They may be put in charge of small libraries, a user services department or a documentary section. They may head up a small team and organize documentary liaison with the public. They may organize and coordinate such transversal services as catalogue quality control, instruction for users, digital information management, etc. They may head up projects and thus be called on to carry out short-term operations designed to establish a new form of organization or new departments.
- 16. Training programme Initial librarian training takes place over a year. The enssib course comprises weeks of training, posting to an external internship, and personal work. The training alternates with the internship perio